50th WorldFest Houston Sino-US Film Project - Film Market Opening Ceremony Press Conference
WorldFest Houston will for the first time focus on supporting film scripts, under the three main themes ¡®Sci-Fi¡¯ ¡®Fantasy¡¯ and ¡®Sino-US Film Co-production¡¯
Sino-US film project - Film Market will take place on April 27th, 8:00-9:30 in the morning, during the 50th WorldFest Houston International Film Festival. The opening ceremony will be held at Westchase Marriott hotel in Houston, Texas. WorldFest Houston will for the first time provide film scripts with professional financing platform and project development support.
The Sino-US Sci-Fi film co-production Film Market was born among the trend of cross-country film production. It aims to discover more high-quality film projects that are suitable for Sino-US co-production and to bring more outstanding Sci-Fi and Fantasy films to cinemas. The Film Market hopes to provide support for Sci-Fi and Fantasy films, especially considering its scarcity in the Chinese film market. Moreover, the Film Market is looking forward to bringing in new blood into the international film market. As a film festival that has a long history and profound influence in North America, WorldFest Houston is going to celebrate its 50th anniversary in the year of 2017. During this time, leaders from both Western and Eastern industries will gather together. Also, the ¡®Panorama China¡¯ unit will screen more outstanding Chinese films, and more elites from Chinese and other countries¡¯ film industries will come to celebrate this event. Through this platform provided by the Film Market, we hope to provide more promotion opportunities for high-quality Sci-Fi film scripts, and to provide opportunities for creators and investors to negotiate collaborations. The event will promote globalization of film industries and further the development of Sino-US co-production films.
All awards at the Film Market will be chosen from the candidate list. All submitted film projects would be evaluated carefully and thoroughly by the jury committee. Among all projects, 10 will be selected as candidates for the Film Market. Review of these projects at the Film Market will be conducted by a committee comprised of filmmakers, directors, scriptwriters and investors within the industry. They have a clear understanding of the current film industry, as well as a sharp sense for film creations, film types and film languages. Their experience and professional judgment will certainly provide great help for creators at the Film Market. The deadline for project submission will be August 1st, 2017. All invited investors can participate in the on-site proposal of shortlisted film projects. In addition, more opportunities will be provided for the candidates and investors to negotiate possible collaboration.
1. Project Submission: April 27th, 2017 - August 1st, 2017 (Online submission through official website)
2. First-round Candidate Announcement: September 15th, 2017 (20 projects will be chosen by the jury committee in 2 months.£©
3. Second-round On-site Presentation: October 2nd, 2017 (3 concept pictures and 5 minutes of presentation.)
4. Final Candidate Announcement: October 15th, 2017 (6 projects will be chosen based on outlines, scripts and on-site presentation score.£©
5. Investors Sign-up: May 15th, 2017 - August 25th, 2017 (Online submission through official website. A more open platform is provided to welcome guests from all areas of film industry.)
6. Sino-US Film Market: October 28th - 30th, 2017 (Project statement, negotiation, industry forum, cocktail party and award ceremony.)
1. Application fee is $200 per project.
2. Submitted film must be Sci-fi or Fantasy feature film that has the potential for Sino-US co-production (animated film not included).
3. One of the leading stars in the submitted film must have Chinese citizenship / own a Chinese passport.
4. The submitted film must have a complete script in both Chinese and English.
5. Projects that have not participated in other similar events will be considered first.
6. Applicant must be the copyright holder or the representative of copyright owner of the submitted project. The Film Market is not responsible for any copyright-related issues, nor does it bear any related legal responsibility.
¡¾How to Apply¡¿
1. Go to our official website and click on ¡®Submit Project¡¯. Complete the forms and then submit (both Chinese and English).
2. After submission, submit required materials to a specified email address before the deadline. The title of your email should be Applicant¡¯s name + project name.
3. The committee will reply and confirm application once all materials have been received.
4. Please make sure the contact information you provide is valid.
5. All materials will not be returned. The materials will be only used for the purpose of evaluation during the Film Market.
¡¾Film Project Application Materials¡¿
1. Log in to www.worldfest-panoramachina.com. Fill out and submit the application form.
2. A plot summary for one sentence (Within 60 words)
3. Scriptwriter¡¯s resume and brief chronology of work (Within 500 words)
4. Synopsis (Within 200 words)
5. Introduction of the project (Within 200 words)
6. Complete play
1. Project planning (including budget and shooting schedule)
Note: all optional materials please send by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
¡¾Notice for Shortlisted Film Project¡¿
Film Market committee will notified shortlisted film project via email and phone. Be sure to keep the contact information accurate and available. Also be sure to inform the committee for any changes.
Once accept the invitation of the review and final review of Film Market, film project representative needs to cooperate with the committee for the preparatory work. Applicants shall not to withdraw its film program for any reason.
1. All film projects and all related information should meet the standard and evaluation criteria.
2. Applicant shall be the legal right holder or authorized representative of the copyright of the submitted film project. Applicant shall ensure that the submitted film project and all related information shall not prejudice to any third party rights, and all applicants should ensure its authenticity and accuracy.
3. Applications should agree to authorize committee to use the film project and its related materials, including but not limited to text materials, posters, photographs of relevant persons, behind-the-scenes footage, etc., for the exhibition, official and collaborative websites, the text, sound, video information of the Film Market.
4. Once accept the invitation of the review and final review of Film Market, film project representative needs to cooperate with the committee for the preparatory work. Applicants shall not to withdraw its film program for any reason.
5. To show respect to the Film Market committee that providing public services, please add ¡®WorldFest Houston International Film Festival Film Market Shortlisted Film Project¡¯ and the LOGO at the beginning of the film or in the end of the film.
¡¾Shortlisted Film Project Treatment¡¿
1. All Shortlisted Film Project have the chance to win the cash awards and non cash awards
2. Two of the project representatives will be invited to be the guest of WorldFest Houston International Festival. They will have complimentary hotel nights and reimbursement of transportation for certain amount
3. The chance to social and discuss with the elites in film industry
4. Evaluation of project given by experienced professionals
5. Invited to Film Market Wine Party and other activities
6. WorldFest Pass which allows participation to all film premieres
7. Seats for Film Market and WorldFest International Film Festival Awards Ceremony
All the Film Market awards will be generated from the finalists. The shortlisted film projects will be carefully reviewed by the committee. Ultimately, from the submission of the project, 10 of them will be selected for Film Market. The committee consists of producers, directors, screenwriters, investors, etc. They have a clear understanding of not only current film industry, but also the film creation, the film type and the film language. Their experience and judgment will be of great help to the participators of the Film Market. The deadline of Film Market enrollment is on August 1, 2017. All invited nominees could participate in the on-site proposal process for shortlisted film projects. Moreover, Film Market will provide more opportunities to filmmakers for idea exchanging.
¡ñ Cash Category£º
Play Writing Award
Best Combination of Technology and Audio-Visual Award
Play Development Award
¡ñ Non-Cash Category:
Release Support Award
Post Production Award
¡¾Film Market Investors and Supports¡¿
¡ñ Huarong International Financial Holdings Limited
¡ñ EE Data
¡ñ Datang Brilliant Media Co.,Ltd.
¡ñ Jiangyin Zhongnan Heavy Industries Co.,Ltd.
¡ñ Huahuang Film£¨Suzhou£©Co.,Ltd.
¡ñ Chinese Documentary Media Industry Group
CCTV-6, Tencent, Iqiyi, PhoenixNet, Sohu, Netease, BTV, Dongfangyule, Xinhua news, People's Daily, China Daily, World Hall of Fame network etc.